What is Kratom?
Kratom is a tree native to Southeast Asia. As an evergreen tropical tree belonging to coffee family, the Mitragyna speciosa (Kratom) is grown in Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, New Guinea, Myanmar, and Papua. The two commonly used strains of Kratom are Red Maeng da and White Vein Bali.
Kratom is associated with alleviating mood and boosting the creativity of the consumer. Kratom powder is a fantastic product which has been observed to stimulate mild euphoria. Due to the presence of Mitragynine, Kratom has opioid-like effects. It works similarly as codeine and morphine and helps in the treatment of chronic pain in many consumers.
Kratom has a central place in traditional medicine for relieving the symptoms of many diseases. Kratom extract is used for deworming and treating ailments such as cough, intestinal infections, and diarrhea. Traditionally, chewing Kratom leaves helps in boosting energy levels and relieving musculoskeletal pain. Chewing Kratom leaves are also associated with increasing sexual desire and appetite in some people. Leaf extract is locally used as an anesthetic for wound healing.
Today, Kratom has gained worldwide fame as dozens of people are switching to Kratom use for pain relief.
How it’s used?
The leaves of Kratom strains are usually crushed into a powder which can be taken by mixing it in any beverage. Kratom extract is another possible usage method. Kratom shows its effects at different dosage depending upon the consumer. Each Kratom dosage is said to have a “sweet spot” at which the effects of this drug are optimal. Kratom effects begin to show after five to ten minutes of consumption and last for two to five hours.
Pregnant and breastfeeding women should not use Kratom.
- Most of the people use Kratom as a way of treating pain
- Proven to have painkiller or analgesic properties
- In some cases, Kratom is used to deal with the symptoms of PTSD
- Helps the user in alleviating the symptoms of mood swings, anxiety, and depression episodes
- Helps in treating cough and diarrhea
- Helps in controlling blood sugar and blood pressure levels
- Cultivates a sense of well-being
- Stimulates mild euphoria
- Alleviates sleeping disease symptoms
- Helps patients with mental disorders
- Eases the symptoms of opioid withdrawal
- Kratom has been proven by DEA to show addictive properties as users tend to show mild symptoms of withdrawal as the drug is discontinued.
- Mild Nausea and vomiting due to excessive Kratom doses and unsuitability of the drug for some people
Addressing your concerns:
Is Kratom legal?
In the USA, Kratom is legal for use. It is usually sold as an alternative medicine at different drug supplement stores. In countries like Australia, Thailand, Malaysia, and some European Union countries, Kratom is illegal.
What is controversial about Kratom?
Research studies on Kratom for its curative properties are still in the early stages. There is not much evidence supporting the medicinal benefits of Kratom. Due to lack of information, the product is not recommended for medical use yet.
Another concern is that it creates enormous effects on the body due to the presence of alkaloids, which are as high in concentration as hallucinogenic mushrooms and opium. Alkaloids are highly effective on the human mind and body. The fact that all of the alkaloids do not affect the human body positively has raised concerns about the safety of Kratom for usage.
Some studies have also confirmed the mitragynine as an addictive psychoactive component in Kratom. Withdrawal symptoms of this compound include
- Sleeping problems
- Hallucinations and nausea
Lastly, the FDA has not regulated the safety or purity standards for Kratom production as of yet.